Below is an example of a 'negative' notification. You're told you bought something on EBay, via visa or, as in this case, sending money through Western Union. Now you know you didn't do that so of course you want to rectify this right away and so you go to click on that handily enclosed link.
*Think* about it.
- You didn't send any funds through Western Union (or did you?).
- It's not a Western Union email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
- It's cc'd to a whole bunch of folks - 25 of them by my count. I think it's a little weird that they all start with the same letter of the alphabet.
- Don't you think that it's a little odd that 25 people with emails starting with the same letter made a Western Union transfer as the same time that you did(n't) *and* have the same Money Transfer Control Number [MTCN]: 5905754821?
- Wanna bet someone clicked on an earlier version and picked up a nice little infection?
Subject: [MTCN] is: 5905754821?
Date: April 21, 2011
Thank you for using the Western Union Money Transfer?
Your money transfer has been authorized and is now available for pick up by the receiver.
Your Money Transfer Control Number [MTCN] is: 5905754821
If you have not authorized this charge , click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund :
SERVICE : Western Union?Money Transfer Service.