Monday, July 6, 2009

*Really* don't click!

I have never had a CIBC account and I never will have a CIBC account. I deal with credit unions and not banks but that's me....

This is a phishing email looking for CIBC customers and particularly those who seem to have never read any cautions from their institution (or even in general on the internet) that advise you to open a separate window and log directly onto your personal banking site (or Paypal, Ebay, etc....)

Clicking on links contained in emails like this has only the potential to open up a world of grief for you. Once they have your personal account access information, you might well be kissing your savings or your identity goodbye.


Notification‏
From: CIBC (onlinesupport@cib.com)

Sent: July 5, 2009 1:09:08 PM
To:
CIBC


At CIBC, we are in business to help our clients, employees, and shareholders achieve what matters to them. Succeeding will mean living by our values — Trust, Teamwork, Accountability — and creating value for all who have a stake in CIBC.

We offer you secure access to your online banking and investment accounts. As part of the sign on process, you may occasionally be prompted to answer one of the Personal Verification Questions you have set up.

Once you have signed on, you can check your balances, transfer funds, and pay bills online quickly and safely. We also monitor activity in online banking and investment accounts to enhance your security and to protect your financial information. One of the security features you will notice in CIBC Online Banking and the online services of CIBC Investor’s Edge, CIBC Imperial Investor Service, CIBC Wood Gundy, and CIBC Private Investment Counsel is the date and time of your last sign, which is displayed within key areas.

The date and time displayed should match the last time you signed on.

For upgrade the security questions follow the link bellow:

Verify My Account Information

Agreements | Trademarks and Disclaimers | Privacy & Security

No comments:

So How Come?

My photo
I have two blogs at the moment - Here Be Dragons which is devoted to rental scams primarily sourced through Craigslist although the proliferation of free ad sites has widened the hunting grounds. Many additions come from other sources (ie: blogs/anti-scam sites/online community ad sites) or are provided by people who want to share their experiences. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch is for copies of scammail that I find in my mailboxes ~ sometimes I can't resist the odd acerbic comment but for the most part I post 'em because the more that people do, the fewer fools they get to gull. Dunno what to say about me that would be very interesting ~ I'm a granny who reads, gardens and crafts as the mood strikes me. :) I don't particularly care for the social predators on this planet and this blog is part of my way of saying so.