Wednesday, December 30, 2009

You're not my Pal....

Kinda like I mentioned below ~ look what I found in the trash today. I'm putting a copy here, forwarding it to spoof@paypal.com and then ~ *poof!* ~ it's history.

Notification of Limited Account Access RXI091‏
From: PayPal (service@paypal.ca)
Sent: December 30, 2009

Dear Paypal member:

We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card?.

To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today.
Click on the link below .

(link deleted

Or contact Paypal Member Services Team. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you have recently updated your billing information, please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

* Originator Identification Number: 679848
* Reference Number: 47WJ2222U6JR4

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences.

Header Analysis

The following IP addresses were extracted from your headers:

IP Address Probable Country
211.166.10.142 China (Beijing)
82.91.176.138 Italy (Rome)
* The last IP listed is usually the originating IP address

Oh yeah, the response from PayPal security is:


RE: FW: Notification of Limited Account Access RXI091 (KMM4868863I15977L0KM)‏
From: spoof@paypal.com (spoof@paypal.com)
Sent: December 30, 2009

Hello W

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

No comments:

So How Come?

My photo
I have two blogs at the moment - Here Be Dragons which is devoted to rental scams primarily sourced through Craigslist although the proliferation of free ad sites has widened the hunting grounds. Many additions come from other sources (ie: blogs/anti-scam sites/online community ad sites) or are provided by people who want to share their experiences. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch is for copies of scammail that I find in my mailboxes ~ sometimes I can't resist the odd acerbic comment but for the most part I post 'em because the more that people do, the fewer fools they get to gull. Dunno what to say about me that would be very interesting ~ I'm a granny who reads, gardens and crafts as the mood strikes me. :) I don't particularly care for the social predators on this planet and this blog is part of my way of saying so.