Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On account that there is no account...

Yes, I have accounts with a financial institution but the scammail I receive has nothing to do with any account that I hold or the institution I do my banking with either.

The scammails come with links, downloadable forms and requests for personal information that banks don't ask you. Any time you have any doubt as to whether your account needs tending to, go directly to their site through a separate window you open in your browser or go really low tech and phone them.

Subject: Western Union- You have 1 new ALERT message.
From: Western Union support-service@westernunion.com
Reply-To: no.reply@westernunion.com


We are sorry to inform you that your Western Union Online Account has been suspended. A high number of failed login attempts have been recorded on your online account. As a security measure we had to temporarily suspend your account.

To restore your account we have attached a form to this email. Please download the form and follow the instructions on your screen.

NOTE: The form needs to be opened in a modern, javascript enabled, browser (ex: Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3, Safari 3, Opera 9).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sincerely, the Western Union security team.

Nope - no account here either:

New Security Upgrade‏
From: TD Canada Trust secure@tdcanadatrust.com
Return-Path: www-data@mail.jobberuf24.de
Sent: June 4, 2010 8:11:22 AM


TD Canada Trust is hereby announcing the New Security Upgrade. We've upgraded our new SSL servers to serve our customers for a better and secure banking service against any fraudulent activities.

Our new security system will help you to avoid unauthorized access to your account
and keep you safe. Due to technical maintenance we need you to confirm your account.
Login to
EasyWeb

TD Canada Trust is committed to ensure the safeguard of each customer's personal information, making sure only authorised individuals have access to their accounts. It is all about your security.

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, TD Canada Trust will
periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

No comments:

So How Come?

My photo
I have two blogs at the moment - Here Be Dragons which is devoted to rental scams primarily sourced through Craigslist although the proliferation of free ad sites has widened the hunting grounds. Many additions come from other sources (ie: blogs/anti-scam sites/online community ad sites) or are provided by people who want to share their experiences. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch is for copies of scammail that I find in my mailboxes ~ sometimes I can't resist the odd acerbic comment but for the most part I post 'em because the more that people do, the fewer fools they get to gull. Dunno what to say about me that would be very interesting ~ I'm a granny who reads, gardens and crafts as the mood strikes me. :) I don't particularly care for the social predators on this planet and this blog is part of my way of saying so.